YouTube vs Vimeo: Which Should You Use?
Video content has now become an important part of online business and daily life. It has always been an entertaining part of the online experience. But now it has begun getting the maximum share of web traffic as well. When it comes to uploading videos online, then Youtube and Vimeo are the two platforms that will come to your mind.
Vimeo and YouTube both are the two most popular platforms in the market with their respective pros and cons. Hence, it is not easy to decide which is the best platform for your business/content.In this article, we will compare both the platforms. This will help you in deciding which platform you should use.
YouTube is by far the largest social video sharing platform on the internet. From business channels to personal videos to television, it has it all.
This platform is started by filmmakers to share their creative work and personal moments from their lives. Generally, creators like film artists, animators, and musicians prefer this platform.
YouTube Vs Vimeo: What’s the difference?
Here are some factors which you must compare before selecting the best platform for sharing your content.
- YouTube is completely free with unlimited storage. You can upload and share videos without paying even a single penny. It earns money through advertisements. Hence, it doesn’t charge anything in terms of monthly or yearly plans.
- Vimeo, on the other hand, makes money by selling video hosting services. They have different membership options with different level of storage and support. They also have a free plan but it is quite limited in terms of storage and support.
- Since YouTube makes money through advertisements. So, you will see ads all over the place. Ads will be there, both on the websites and in between the videos. Seeing too many ads creates a negative impact on its viewers.
- While Vimeo keeps their site free from ads. So, you won’t see any ad before, during or after the video or content. This is why they charge money through memberships.
- YouTube provides an analytics report which will help you to know everything about your audience that too without paying anything. You can understand who your audience is, their location, how they are engaging and much more. You can analyse stats of views, traffic sources, and even the gender of your audience.
- On the other hand, Vimeo also offers powerful analytics tool for evaluating your video’s performance. However, you’ll have to pay to access everything. It only offers basic analytics features free of cost.
- YouTube has three privacy options: public, private and unlisted. Private means only you and specific users you choose can view your videos. While unlisted privacy option means anyone with the link can view it.
- Vimeo offers more privacy options than YouTube. Its privacy options also offer you with public, private and unlisted options. Along with that, it also offers password-protected content.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- YouTube is the second largest search engine. It is owned by Google. Therefore, having videos on it will increase your chances of appearing in search results. You can also rank your videos through Google Keywords.
- It is also possible for Vimeo videos to rank for certain Google Keywords. But it doesn’t have the same SEO capabilities as YouTube.
Both YouTube and Vimeo are outstanding platforms for your videos. But the choice between both the platforms largely depends on your business goals. In case you are looking for a creative community to interact with and want to gain exposure in a specific niche. Then, Vimeo is a better platform to share your content. On the other hand, if your business goals are highly around SEO and ads then YouTube is your best bet.